myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Baby's First Hair Cut


I cut my own hair today. Yes, I cut my own hair today. I'd been dying for a hair cut for a while because it's been getting in the way, and cleaning paint and texture out of my hair every night was not fun. Being sick and tired of it, I decided today was the day, that it must be done before Thanksgiving. Not thinking that I'd cut my hair, I go out, as normal. But because no salon would take me with such short notice, and no respectible walk in would allow me through the door wearing my work clothes, I decided to go to the local Cut By Us for an $12 hair cut... which is exactly what I got... if that. She boufonted my hair. No, I will not show you that picture, the world will never see that one. I had even brought in a picture, and anyone who knows me knows that I like things a certain way when it comes to hair (and shoes). She didn't even look at the picture, she just started cutting. Not even asking me what I wanted, she just talked away so I couldn't get a word in edgewise. She put so much product in it you would have thought I was the cause for the global warming. I wanted to cry when I put my glasses on and saw what she had done. It's length hadn't been touched, which is what I wanted gone. She had flipped it and sprayed the daylights out of it. I was mad, but before I could object she shuffled me to the front where another lady rang me up. All I could do was grit my teeth and smile as I signed over $12 of my hard earned cash. I rushed to the car, cursing under my breath, and quickly searching for my work bandana. The blank bandana did not hide the fact that my hair was now about a foot and a half in diameter around my head, but it did help me feel slightly better about it.
By the time I'd gotten home (all of 3 minutes)I'd decided that I was going to do this myself. I knew what I wanted, and if I really messed up, I could always find someone who'd fix it. But I was not going to walk around any longer than necessary with what was currently holding my hair hostage. Besides Mom cut her own hair sometimes, and she always got what she wanted (the new due makes me look more like Mom, I've realized).
Running in, I grab my scissors and a comb and take to the shower. After Rinse and repeat 5 times, I decided that if it didn't look good by now, or at least normal, I'd cut it (I was still a little apprehensive about cutting it myself... due to past experiences. Anyone else remember where those bangs went?). When I got out of the shower, semi-dried my hair and looked in the mirror I was so mad that it was the same length that I took a handful at the back and hacked it off. That was a beautiful beginning. After that, I just went from there and cut off whatever I wanted. At the end, I got a little crazy and cut it a bit shorter on the sides than what I'd thought about. But I'm reallly happy with the overall product. My bangs aren't in my way (but are still there), I don't have to do much with it, just let it dry, and it's off my neck (which is still a little weird).
I was so happy that I'd done it myself I had to share it with everyone that though they'd seen me take off to search out a cut, I had to do it myself... despite the $12.
That's what really burns me: I have never cut anyone else's hair before, let alone my own (bangs disaster when I was 7 doesn't count). She's a professional and been doing it for years. Who should have gotten it right the first time? Grrr... It's only high dollar salons for me from now on... like Che Rano.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks really cute. It frames your face well. :-)

Rich said...

I love it short it looks great on you... but in my humble opinion anything looks good on you

Anonymous said...

:)Your hair looks very nice and cute. I was surprised that you cut that short :) Are those new glasses too? I don't think I have seen them before.

Anonymous said...

love the story :), sorry that you had such a bad experience at the hair cut place. I am glad that the hair cut by your own hand turned out so well:)